Kiwi fruit is a delicious fruit that is loaded with nutrients. Native to China, today its cultivations is spread across the globe from New Zealand to Chile to Italy.
Kiwi fruit is an edible berry of a vine of the genus Actinidia. The most common type of Kiwi fruit is the Hayward which is oval and is the size of large egg of a hen. It has dull green fibrous skin and bright green to golden flesh containing edible, tiny, black seeds.
The fruit has a unique, sweet flavour, which makes it globally popular. Today, this plant is cultivated commercially in different parts of the world.
Types: The following are the major types of kiwi fruit:
- Fuzzy kiwi fruit: Belonging to the species A. Deliciosa, it is the most common type.
- Golden kiwi fruit: Belonging to species A. Chinensis, it has a bronze, smooth skin and is attached like a beak to the stem. Flesh colour ranges from bright yellow to intense green. This is a highly aromatic and sweet fruit.
- Chinese Egg gooseberry: Species of A. coriacea
- Baby kiwi fruit: of species arguta
- Arctic kiwifruit: of species A. Kolomikta
- Red kiwi fruit: of species A. Melenandra
- Silver vine: of species A. Polygama
- Purple kiwi fruit: of species A. Purpurea
These are the major types of kiwi fruit. The fruit is also rich in nutrients and can improve one’s health.
Health Benefits of Kiwi Fruit:
- Helps in digestion: Actinidain- a protein dissolving enzyme is found in kiwi fruit. It helps in digestion of meals just like enzyme papain. It is rich in fibre, which aids in digestion and prevents constipation.
- Helps control blood pressure: Kiwi contains potassium which keeps electrolytes in balance by reversing the effects of sodium.
- Protects human DNA: Phytonutrient research shows that the kiwi is able to protect DNA in nucleus of cells of the human body from damage due to oxidation. It has elements with clear antioxidant activity.
- Boosts immunity: High Vitamin C and other anti-oxidant content are proved to boost immunity.
- Helps clear toxins: The Kiwi’s fuzzy fibre helps coagulate and move out toxins from the intestinal tract.
- Helps fight heart disease: Consuming kiwi fruit has been seen to reduce blood clotting and triglycerides , substantially. Aspirin is medicine usually taken for this purpose but has many dangerous side effects. Kiwi fruit has no side effects.
- Apt for diabetics: Kiwi ranks low in the Glycemic index implying that it does not increase blood sugar fast. It is safe for diabetics.
- Solution for eye problems: Research has shown that Kiwi fruit is ideal for eye health.
- Protects from Asthma: Being rich in Vitamin C, the fruit protects against respiratory symptoms linked with asthma like wheezing.
- Maintains alkaline balance: Kiwi is highly alkaline which means it has a rich supply of minerals to counteract the acidic substance which one consumes. This balance causes good effects like deep sleep, youthful skin, less cold, less arthritis, more energy and lowered osteoporosis.
These are some of the health benefits of consuming Kiwi Fruit. When you are designing fresh fruit basket gifts, don’t forget to add the Kiwi Fruit as it conveys the message of good health for the recipient.